Job Posting for Director of Student Ministries at Galloway Memorial United Methodist Church
Galloway Memorial United Methodist Church (“Galloway”), a historic congregation in downtown Jackson, Mississippi, is seeking a full-time Director of Student Ministry (“DSM”) to oversee and give direction for ministries to students in grades 7-12, as well as their families. While providing ministry to these students would be his or her primary objective, the DSM would also engage in and maintain relationships with college students. Galloway is a dynamic 2100 member congregation, which was first established in 1836. The church is located in downtown Jackson, the capital city of Mississippi, one block from the State Capitol building and Governor’s mansion. Galloway has many exciting ministries seeking to meet the needs of a diverse constituency, which includes business professionals to a vibrant homeless ministry.
The DSM will oversee, organize, and implement ministry to, with, and alongside students to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world. An effective DSM will equip and empower students and adult leaders to live in community with mission as a way of life. The DSM will oversee weekly student bible studies, United Methodist Youth Fellowship, and Sunday School for students. The DSM will also plan and coordinate retreats, mission opportunities, fundraising events, and other student gatherings. The DSM will provide pastoral care for youth and families, create and implement new member formation, participate and engage in worship planning, and take a lead in worship through liturgy. The DSM will also engage in intentional relationships with college students in the Metro Jackson area, as well as remaining in relationships with Galloway collegians in other geographic areas.The ideal candidate will:
- Exemplify a contagious enthusiasm for Christ and students.
- Have experience in full-time student ministry.
- Be grounded in Wesleyan theology and United Methodist doctrine.
- Embrace a commitment for long-term planning and implementation of Galloway’s student ministry.
- Have the ability to function as part of a team in the wider circle of ministry (staff, volunteers, and lay leadership).
- Have the ability to develop a robust volunteer network and coordinate with volunteers to implement all aspects of the ministry.
Galloway United Methodist Church is an Equal Opportunity Employer