Grace Place Lead Cook
The Foundery Kitchen is a satellite kitchen of the Food Service Ministry of Galloway United Methodist Church’s main kitchen, and as such serves with oversight from the Galloway Food Service Manager. As this satellite kitchen pertains to Grace Place, the Grace Place Cook has dual supervision with the day-to-day operation answering to the Minister to Church and Society and the over-reaching insight of the Galloway Food Service Manager regarding the operation of the kitchen.
Duties: Coordinate and participate as required in the preparation, cooking, and serving of food. Coordinate efforts with volunteers for pick-ups, deliveries, and maintenance. Ensure that the Foundery Kitchen is operated properly, including compliance to health regulations and industry standards for food handling. Make sure equipment for food preparation and refrigeration is properly maintained. Order kitchen supplies and prepares food orders as needed. Prepare and maintain records and files, such as inventory and donation records. Complete and submit reports internally. Perform related work as required.
Qualifications Experience in foodservice and knowledge of food industry standards, ServSafe Certificate required.
The Lead Cook’s responsibilities include the oversight of daily kitchen operations and food programs; supervising the food prep and cooking; maintaining a fully stocked kitchen inventory, and complying with safety and cleanliness standards. To be successful in this role, you should be able to manage our kitchen volunteers and guide them to deliver quality food on time. Ultimately, you will ensure all meals are properly cooked and served, and ensure our guests have a pleasant dining experience.
- Must follow proper handwashing, PPE, and food handling policies at all times.
- Orientation, supervision, training, scheduling, and delegation of assignments to volunteers
- Maintain sanitary conditions in accordance with the State of Mississippi. Public Health regulations
- Supervise food prep and cooking.
- Check food plating and temperature
- Establish portion sizes
- Obtain and maintain appropriate city and state food licenses.
- Maintain kitchen appliances and ensure safe operation of same.
- Order food supplies and kitchen equipment, as needed. Coordinate food orders.
- Store food products in compliance with safety practices (e.g., in refrigerators)
- Keep weekly and monthly cost reports.
- Sort all donated food, checking for and discarding outdated/damaged items.
- Reliable Hard-working and courteous
- Experience and comfortable in a kitchen setting
- Comfortable using a computer for ordering, budgeting, record keeping, letter writing.
- Comfortable working directly with clients and large crowds
- Professional and able to keep confidentiality
- Able to read and communicate well.
- Able to learn new tasks.
- Able to work as a team.
- Able to follow instructions and complete a task independently.
- Able to stand for long periods of time.
- Able to lift to 50 lbs.
- Able to understand food handler's hygiene and practices good hygiene.
- Proven work experience as a Head Chef/Cook
- Hands-on experience with planning menus and ordering ingredients
- Knowledge of a wide range of recipes to feed a crowd
- Familiarity with kitchen sanitation and safety regulations
- Excellent organizational skills
- Conflict management abilities
- Ability to manage a team in a fast-paced work environment
- Manage kitchen staff and coordinate food orders
- Supervising food prep and cooking
- Checking food plating and temperature
- Servsafe certificate
- The candidate must have a high school diploma.
- Must have a positive work history and reliable transportation.
- Must be a responsible, respectful, positive role model and be able to follow instructions.